Browsing through my collection of food magazines, I was glad to come across a very important recipe for me: blueberry muffins.
I was raring to go back to baking during the holiday season. I’m thankful then I had a few days of vacation last December to pursue my passion. But just before I did, I was happy to chance upon an outlet at a bazaar near my workplace that sells organic produce. From there, I bought a pack of fresh blueberries that the vendor claimed came all the way from Baguio City.
I stored the blueberries in the freezer a night before I started baking. It was a tip I learned from Aileen Anastacio, resident columnist of Yummy magazine. When she shared her blueberry muffin recipe, she strongly recommended the use of fresh or frozen blueberries instead of the canned version for an excellent result.
I also had to make the buttermilk ahead of time by mixing one tablespoon of lemon juice to one cup of whole milk and which I stored in the fridge overnight covered.
And so that’s what I did. Here’s my humble version.
Holiday Blueberry Muffins
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup oil
1 1/3 cups buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups frozen blueberries
For the Streusel topping
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line muffin tins with paper cups;
2. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl;
3. In another bowl, whisk oil, buttermilk, egg, vanilla;
4. Pour over the flour mixture, mix until well-combined;
5. Add the frozen blueberries;
6. Scoop batter over the muffin cups;
7. Make the streusel by combining the flour, butter, and light brown sugar until it becomes coarse. Sprinkle on top of each muffin.
8. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until tops are golden. You can also try the toothpick test. Allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving.
One thing I like about this version is that it’s not all too sweet. Perfect for those who are struggling to control their sugar levels. It’s also a perfect partner to my favorite Cappuccino!